Thursday, May 13, 2010

Runcible Cat: A brief biography.

       I have been told that in publishing a blog, especially under a pseudonym, one is expected to provide a modicum of information—therefore I, Runcible Cat, will now disclose all.

From my earliest kittenhood, I remember that we lived in a spacious old Victorian house, with kindly and attentive humans, and a lot of leftover tuna casserole. We were allowed out into the garden, and it was a wonderful garden, with interesting little beetles to eat, or at least to pounce on, and flower beds of all kinds to dig up. And one of the humans kept pigeons, and that was our undoing. The humans did not seem to mind my father chasing the pigeons; they thought it was funny. You see, my father, being old and arthritic could not actually catch pigeons. So his feeble attempts were a source of amusement. But one Sunday morning, while being an unusually competent cat, or perhaps in pursuit of an unusually incompetent pigeon, he actually caught one—and ate it. And I believe that is how we came to lose our “situation.” That was our original sin which occasioned our fall from grace and our expulsion from the garden—and even worse, our expulsion from the house.

I’m not sure where my litter-mates ended up, but I was sent to live with Aunt Lulu and my eccentric Uncle Thomas, who spent his last years investigating the operation of can openers. After Uncle Thomas died, Aunt Lulu lived on for many years. She was a very popular kitty, and always seemed to be having kittens, but few ever survived kittenhood. There were drowning accidents mostly, always in the same pond. Aunt Lulu would explain, “I tried to tell them, ‘If you’re going to play inside a burlap bag, then be very careful not to play too near the water. But you know how kittens are these days—they just won’t listen.’”

I’m now a very old kitty. For hobbies, I’ve tried knitting, but whenever I see a ball of yarn, I just want to play with it--but you probably all have that problem. For my preferred reading, my favorite Bible story is the one about the five loaves and two fishes. I especially like the part about the fishes. And I belong to a choral society. The other cats, all sturdy yeeoowmen, think we should learn some Maori songs.

Yet I have my fantasies. Sometimes, when I’ve had a bit too much catnip, I imagine that I am a human—some old white guy living in some incredibly bucolic rural part of northeast Iowa. This old guy, as I imagine him, was born about 1939. Being born in the Roosevelt administration and growing up in the Truman administration, his political attitudes stand out as radical left-wing populism in most circles today.

But he never thinks of himself in that light. You see, the ideas he believes in--that everyone has a right to a secure job that pays a living wage, and the right to union representation if they want it, and the right to basic medical care, and to a decent education, and to a place to live—these ideas were at one time considered absolutely mainstream in America, and he still remembers that time. He even remembers when trade policies were aimed at improving the lives of the working class—not the investing class. And he hopes to live to see some of these ideas become mainstream again.

As I imagine him, he grew up in an industrial town in the Midwest, the 3rd son of 2nd generation immigrant parents. When in high school, his plan was to join the Navy and then go to college on the GI bill, as his elder brother had done. He had hoped to be an engineer or a science teacher. But when the Eisenhower administration ended the GI bill in 1956, but did not end the draft, he had no “plan B.” He tried to work his way through college by alternately working in the local factories a semester, then going to college a semester. I think he declared a double major of physics and economics and enrolled at UNI, then called Iowa State Teachers’ College. But after two years of college, he was twenty-two, and when he quit school that year to look for another job, he lost his student deferment and was drafted.

Naturally, he enlisted for an additional year so as to qualify for a better school. He was sent to the U.S. Army Signal School in New Jersey, then arguably the best electronic tech school in the world. He spent the last few months of his tour of duty in Viet Nam, but never saw any combat. He was part of a team of electronics experts, sent in to install a portable ground station for the world’s first geo-synchronous communications satellite. When discharged, he was 26, still had only two years of college, and there was still no GI Bill. Having few options, he tried to market the technical skills the Army had given him, eventually becoming an IBEW electrician doing heavy industrial work. Finding this work more interesting and rewarding on several levels than he had ever imagined, he remained at the trade nearly 40 years, wiring factories, power houses, refineries, etc. But to remain employed, he often worked hundreds of miles from home, leaving his wife and child at home.

Now retired, this burned out old electrician has been happily married to the same woman for nearly forty years. They have one adult daughter, now gainfully employed in some abstruse technical field. He subscribes to a dozen periodicals including Nation, The American Prospect, In These Times, Dollars & Sense, and Wall Street Journal. (Why WSJ? Sometimes their news pages contain investigative pieces not covered by anyone else.) His activism extends to the environment, alternative energy, and social and economic justice. His musical tastes are eclectic, including opera, bluegrass, blues, Cajon, klezmer, and many other styles. Being a persistent autodidact, he reads almost entirely non-fiction, usually economics, science, history, or archaeology. And he and his wife do extensive gardening.

Since I, the Runcible Cat, enjoy pretending to be this old guy, please let me enjoy my fantasies. Without them, what would I have left? So if in my postings I assume the voice of some old guy in rural Iowa, just indulge me--please.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Cat,
    This caught my attention:

    "everyone has a right to a secure job that pays a living wage, and the right to union representation if they want it, and the right to basic medical care, and to a decent education, and to a place to live"

    You say these were once considered mainstream. That seems like a really strong and non-specious argument. Let me think of some other great ideas that used to be mainstream, hmmmm, I know how about slavery, suffrage for landowners-whites-males only and the draft. Maybe we should push for a return of those great ideas as well.
    I respectfully submit that what you state as rights are really entitlements. The difference being that one requires other people actively working to give you something while the other only requires that they leave you alone to pursue your own rewards from your own efforts. The entitlements that you dream of require someone else to provide them. They are not sustainable and don't mesh with what we know about human nature.
    I believe that everyone has the right to filet mignon for breakfast, a 67 chevy corvette (427 with the tri-power carb) in the garage and a mansion in the sky.
    Any "Right" that depends on the efforts and resources of other humans is ultimately unsustainable. Cuz why be the guy sweating his cojones off carrying the sedan chair when you could be the guy fanning himself whilst easting grapes, riding in it?
    I'm constantly shocked when I hear cats your age who still believe in this sort of marxist manifesto stuff. From each their ability, to each their needs. I'll type it again, that in no way meshes with human nature. Perhaps some humans' nature but not enough to make it work. Show me a person that is happy doing work while his efforts are harvested to reward those that choose not to and maybe I'll start to buy in.
    A union is no longer something that keeps 12 yr olds from working iron smelters. Today's unions are collections of workers who have been told that the ability to do some menial skill makes them supremely talented. They are told that their unique ability entitles them to wages far beyond what their "talents" are worth. They are a blood sucking leach that doesn't have the sense to make the relationship symbiotic. They'd rather kill their host. They are responsible for the demise of some of the greatest motors of industry in this nation. There is a reason our auto industry has a hard time competing. You say you read the WSJ, perhaps you caught that article about the cost of union workers in the US vs the cost of non union auto workers (toyota) in the US. The cost per hour was far less and the productivity was far higher without unions.
    Your ideas are better suited for a bohemian cafe in 1960s San Francisco than the real world. Get out of the bread line comrade.
    The revolution is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Cat....

    I was suprised to hear that there was no GI bill available in fall of 1966,since I distinctly remember getting and cashing my ($90.00)
    check that fall in Iowa City. That helped me greatly at a time when room rental was $30/mo., and I only had to buy grub and wine for parties which you attended!! Other than that.... I found your opening posts quite interesting and amusing. You have found your podium!!

    Cornbob1

    ReplyDelete