Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Norwegians in a Cold Climate

   Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I read Gisli Sursson's Saga.  It's a wonderful read, which is why it's still popular after 900 years.   Then, just after finishing Gisli, I watched "Fargo," my very favorite "cop"movie of all time.  It was quite an evening--all mindless killings and treachery, all done by people who originally came from Norway,  and who have lived in a cold, desolate place since.   In Iceland, they write a Saga about it--in Minnesota they make a movie about it.
   So,  what is it about Norwegians in a cold place?
(Actually, two of my great grandparents were born is Scandinavia,  and they farmed in Northern Minnesota, just across the river from Fargo.   So, is this genetic?  And why am I attracted to wood chippers?)  

No comments:

Post a Comment