Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So who is Voldemort, and can he beat Mitt Romney?

   Yesterday I wore my favorite printed tee shirt to town.  It's a red, white, and blue shirt with the words:  "Republicans for Voldemort."   In most towns, this is a sure fire way to get a few cheap laughs.   In Iowa City, people actually stop me and try to buy it off my back.   But in Waterloo, it meets with blank stares or is ignored completely.  You see, in a place like Waterloo, there is little adult interest in the Harry Potter books and movies,  so anyone young enough to know who Voldemort is--is too young to care what a Republican is. And more than once, life long Republicans have earnestly inquired who Voldemort is, and whether I thought he could beat their favorite presidential hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment